Hi CHS Family,
Even in a time of sheltering, isolation, and upheaval, the Holy Spirit and our staff have been at work, in Jesus’ name, to be blessing to our city and to work for real relationships in our city. As Tim and I have taught, the essence of the book of Ephesians is: “The Lord is building a multi-ethnic, community of people, living holy lives, in adoration of Him.”
Let me share three doors the Lord has opened for us. I am guessing you will be pretty excited and want to take part!
ONE: CHS and Lucy Addison Middle School in Partnership
- Lucy Addison Middle School is a Roanoke City School on Orange Avenue that has a vibrant administrative team. They are eager to partner with our church and for us to take part in their community.
- It is our desire to promote a culture of service within our church body. It is going to take all of us to be the hands and feet of Jesus in this community. We pray that each member will be actively engaged with the most vulnerable in our city whether it be through Lucy Addison or CarePortal.
- The children in the school have many needs. We are currently equipping a supply closet with access to food, clothes, shoes, and daily necessities. Donations currently needed for the children are: deodorant (men’s and women’s), individually wrapped snacks such as granola bars, crackers, trail mix, etc., socks, and men’s underwear.
- Volunteers and donations are needed to facilitate teacher luncheons and monthly incentives to encourage and support the faculty.
- Opportunities are available to become a lunch buddy to a student.
- Volunteers are needed to organize the supply closet.
- Please email Shannon Nunnally at firstname.lastname@example.org to become involved.
TWO: August City-Wide Open-Air Prayer Concerts Downtown on the Market. We are co-sponsoring citywide, multi-ethnic, multi-denomination Sunday night prayer and worship events downtown at Center in the Square, partnering with Pastor Steve Henderson and his incredible Voices of Roanoke Choir/band. We will send more information, but basically we will meet from 6:30-8p.m. in the City Market Square on August 9th, 16th, 23rd, and 30th.
THREE: PARTNERSHIP and SHARING
We have become friends with Pastor Charles Wilson and The Hill Church, a fairly new inner-city church plant in the Villa Heights neighborhood. Pastor Charles hails from Dallas where he was a pastor to youth at a large, healthy church. Charles was trained in church planting, in part, by Anglican Church planter friends. He is an incredible leader and brother in Christ with a powerful vision for Villa Heights. It is our honor to gift to them use of our downtown building when we are not using it. Specifically, for their praise team practice, Bible Study, and taping of their Sunday AM service until their sanctuary is complete in late December
God is building a multi-ethnic, community of people,
living holy lives,
in adoration of Him