at Church of the Holy Spirit
Gentle Shepherd Hospice/Skolrood Law Firm
0.5k Race for Rwanda
Make a Lasting Impact by Helping Us Build a School
The purpose for this 0.5k race (a/k/a 1640 ft, 656 steps, 500 meters) is not only to have a blast (which you will!), but more importantly to build a school in Shara, Rwanda. Shara is an extremely impoverished peninsula surrounded by Lake Kivu. It is one of the poorest areas in all of Rwanda. Without an education, the vicious cycle of poverty will only continue for the children who live there. Church of the Holy Spirit in Roanoke has now partnered with Rwandan Anglican Bishop Nathan Amooti to help build 2 schools on the very poor 20 mile long Nkombo Island. We have been blessed to see how these schools have changed the spirit of these communities, giving them hope for a better future. This race will help us bring that same hope to the people in Shara!
So join your fellow race-slackers for an unforgettable experience! Get ready for the glory of being a race-finisher for a great cause!
Early-Bird Registration is $15/individual and $40/family through July 31st. Beginning August 1 Registration is $18/individual and $45/family.
Scroll to the bottom to Register!
Our Race Sponsors
Gentle Shepherd Hospice
Skolrood Law Firm
Virginia Furniture Market
Atlantic Compressors, Inc.
Shrader Investment Company
Church of the Outer Banks
Brett R. Roach, L.P.C., L.M.F.T., PLC
Lynne H. Pope MKB, Realtors
Cabinetry with TLC
Circle Design Studio
Goodies for Race Participants:
DJ David Woodson
back by popular demand
for the top three winners in each gender for each age group:
5 and under | 6-10 | 11-14 | 15-18 | 19 -39 | 40+
led by our own bubbly Julie Wright and “a Surprise Guest”
(because you need more pics for your social media to show you are willing to sweat it out for a great cause and because you are a socially conscious athlete)
Prize for Life Group Relay Race COSTUME CONTEST
(Get a team ready with the craziest costume – pajamas, retro, sunglasses, boots – you decide!)
halfway through where water and donuts will be available to help refuel
Chicken and Hot Dog Dinners | Popcorn and Cotton Candy | Cornhole and other Games | Face Painting for the kiddos
How Can I Help?
(We were hoping you would ask!!)
- BE A SPONSOR!! – We need businesses to sponsor our race. This is the primary way we raise our funds (contact Kim Motley at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Spread the word: Tell your friends, neighbors, and co-workers about the race and share on social media!
- Ask family and friends to sponsor your run/walk to help us make an even bigger impact.
- Volunteer the weekend of Race and Race Day. (Contact Kim Motley at email@example.com)
- Not able to participate? No problem. You can still make a donation on the registration page.
- Volunteer to help find face painters.