I am sure you have seen the Prevnar 13 commercial that asks the question: What if you could prevent a disease by eating one blueberry or doing one pushup or eating one carrot or one bite of broccoli? Their point is, if you take this vaccine one time, you could prevent pneumonia. Of course, they spend the rest of the commercial telling us the possible side effects such as, swelling, limited arm movement, chest pain, chills, rashes, and good old pain.
What if I told you there are hundreds of children on Nkombo Island, a 20-mile-long island on Lake Kivu between Rwanda and the Congo border that have no school and little hope of subsisting much less any hope of a fulfilling life? What if I told you that by eating one chili lunch you could help these children get an education, meals every day, and hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ? That may be a bit over-simplified, but it is a factual statement. Not only that, there will be no side effects, no rashes, no swelling, no chest pain or chills. (OK maybe a little heartburn, but that’s another story.)
So, what do you need to do?
- Stay for our annual CHILI COOK-OFF following the 11:00 service January 29th in the Fellowship Hall. If you come to the 8:30 service, come back at 12:30.
- Enter your favorite chili. EVERYONE is welcome to enter. Sign up at the table in the narthex this coming Sunday.
- If you are 55 or older, help serve. You get to wear a really cool MASTERS apron.
- We will build a school in Bugumira, population 5,000. If we build the physical school building, the government will pay the teachers’ (chosen by the church) salaries.
- Compassion International will begin partnering with the church that we have already built, allowing children to be sponsored and receive medical attention and supplemental nutrition.
- The advancement of the Gospel to this community is enhanced as the community sees the Church being responsible for these results.
- We follow the commands of Scripture and the pattern of the early church as we communicate the Gospel and relieve suffering that began when sin entered the world.
Give real hope to hundreds of children by eating one chili meal on January 29th.
Give one crockpot of chili (if you want to enter).
Give one school by voting for your number one chili when you make one donation.
Hope to see you there!